green checkmark Google Screened

Can a Foreign Tourist Be Liable for a Car Accident?

Contact an Atlantic City Car Accident Lawyer at the D'Amato Law Firm for Help With Complicated Motor Vehicle Claims.

Getting into a car accident is bad enough, but what happens when the person who caused the crash is from a foreign country? You can probably guess that the situation will be more complicated, but as with other kinds of accidents, there will be options to consider.

You might be able to make an insurance claim when a foreign tourist caused the crash, but it depends upon the circumstances. If that person was driving a rental car that malfunctioned, the rental company might handle the situation. If the tourist was traveling in the U.S. for business and worked for an American company, that could also help your claim. Some foreign tourists have liability insurance that covers them while in other countries, and this could also pay for your damages.

If your auto insurance policy has uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you may need to turn to your provider to look into getting compensation for the accident. With these kinds of claims, much depends on the state you live in and where the accident occurred.

Foreign nationals can be sued for car accidents when they are in the United States. There are laws that apply to everyone who uses U.S. roads and highways, but know that anyone you sue has the right to seek their own legal counsel. These kinds of claims and lawsuits can be affected by jurisdiction, though. If the foreign tourist is only in the U.S. for a short amount of time, or decides to flee at the earliest opportunity, you could be left with your hands tied.

For a judgment against someone in another country to be valid in a U.S. court, that court needs to have jurisdiction over that person who is living elsewhere. International laws dictate how jurisdiction works between countries.

These cases can be challenging, especially if an at-fault foreign tourist causes a serious accident that causes significant injuries and property damage. Some will cooperate to the best of their ability, but others might not. There could also be communication barriers that leave you wondering what the other person says and what they are offering to do.

What Should I Do if I am Involved in a Car Accident With a Foreign Tourist?

After any kind of automobile accident, the first course of action is to call 911. You or another passenger might need immediate medical attention, and it is best to have law enforcement officers there to gather information for a police report. Learn as much as you can about other driver and their vehicle. This includes their insurance information, rental policy, and license plate.

Once help arrives and your medical needs have been attended to, call your insurance company, and give them a brief explanation about what happened. Your claim might be processed to your satisfaction, but sometimes things do not go as hoped. A car accident lawyer might be your best bet in cases involving foreign tourists, especially when there are jurisdiction issues.

Contact an Atlantic City Car Accident Lawyer at the D’Amato Law Firm for Help With Complicated Motor Vehicle Claims

Places like Atlantic City, New Jersey attract people from around the globe, and the likelihood of getting into a car accident with a foreign tourist is a possibility. Speak with an Atlantic City car accident lawyer at the D’Amato Law Firm to learn more. Located in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, we serve clients in South Jersey, including Atlantic City, Linwood, Galloway Township, Cape May, Vineland, Millville, Bridgeton, Ocean City, and Woodbury. Call us at 609-926-3300 or complete our online form to schedule a free consultation.