Stephen M. Van Natten is a 1986 graduate of Brick Memorial High School in Brick, New Jersey. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from DeSales University, Center Valley, PA (formerly Allentown College of St. Francis de Sales) in 1990. Stephen then obtained his Juris Doctorate Degree from Widener University – School of Law, Harrisburg, PA in 1993. He became licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania and joined the Lehigh County District Attorney’s Office in December of 1993. He worked as an Assistant District Attorney until 1999, when he became a Deputy Lehigh County Solicitor, a position he held until 2003 when he returned to the District Attorney’s Office. In 2007, Stephen was promoted to the position of the Chief of the Violent Crimes Unit and Chief of Prosecutions for the office, supervising prosecutors as both the Unit Chief and overseeing all prosecutions in the office. He has prosecuted thousands of cases with more than 75 jury trials, handling everything from major thefts, adult and child sexual assaults, robbery, burglary and capital and non-capital murder cases.
In conjunction with his career as a prosecutor, Stephen spent 17 years as an Adjunct Professor of Business Law for Pennsylvania State University at the Lehigh Valley Campus in Center Valley, PA. In 2005-2006, Penn State – Lehigh Valley awarded him the, “Part-Time Faculty Teaching Excellence Award” at the Honors Convocation. In 2006-2007, he was also recognized by “Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers” as a distinguished educator, for his excellence and his contributions to “the education of our nation’s youth.”
Stephen has guest lectured at various high schools and colleges in the Lehigh Valley area and was a Certified Instructor for the Allentown Police Academy from 1997 until his retirement from Lehigh County in December 2014. Stephen has also lectured previously for the Pennsylvania District Attorney’s Association.
In 2014, Stephen was honored by having his photograph and biography hung in the main hall on the DeSales University Campus as a distinguished alumnus in the “Alumni Spotlight” series. He was also honored to serve as the “Honorary Captain” of the DeSales Men’s Basketball Team for a home game in 2014 (he played for the team, 1986-1990, captain, 1990).
In 2014, he sat for and passed the New Jersey Bar Examination and was admitted to practice in New Jersey in June of that year.
Stephen has two children, Jessica (24), a cinematographer who lives in Manyunk, PA and Alexander (21), a welder for Greiner Industries, who lives in Whitehall, PA.
Stephen lives in Ocean City with his fiancé, Dr. Shelleymarie Magan, who is the Chief School Administer/Superintendent for the Myron L. Powell School in Cedarville, and their beloved 4 year old Boston Terrier, Lexus.
Stephen M. Van Natten’s Awards
Widener University School of Law
- Juris Doctorate, 1993
- Moot Court Honor Society (National Competition Team, 1992)
(formerly Allentown College of St. Francis de Sales)
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
- Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), 1990
- 4 year Varsity Men’s Basketball (Captain, 1990)
Office of the Lehigh County District Attorney
- 1993-1999 – Assistant District Attorney
- 2003-2007 – Senior Deputy District Attorney
(Cross-designated as Special Assistant United States Attorney, position held only briefly due to being promoted to Chief of Prosecutions)
- 2007-2014 – Chief Deputy District Attorney (Violent Crimes Unit)
Chief of Prosecutions
Pennsylvania State University
Lehigh Valley Campus, Center Valley, Pennsylvania
- 1997-2014 – Adjunct Professor of Business Law
Office of the Lehigh County Department of Law
- 1999-2003 – Deputy County Solicitor
ASSOCIATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS (current)
- American Association for Justice
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Atlantic County Bar Association
- DeSales University Athletic Steering Committee
- DeSales University – St. Francis DeSales Legal Society (Executive Board member)
- Licensed in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
- Knights of Columbus (Ocean City)
ASSOCIATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS (past)
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
- Lehigh County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania District Attorney’s Association
- National District Attorney’s Association
- Born in Erie, Pennsylvania 1968
- Dr. Shelleymarie Magan, wife
- Daughter, Jessica Marie Van Natten (Born 1990)
- Son, Alexander Stephen Van Natten (Born 1993)
- Dog, Lexus, Boston Terrier
Let's Talk About Your Accident
Give us a call to discuss the details of your accident. Our law firm has been collectively helping innocent accident victims for over 50 years.
Call us today or send us an email.