Alexa D’Amato Barrera is a partner at the D’Amato Law Firm where she practices special education and plaintiffs’ personal injury law with her father, Paul D’Amato, and law partner, Stephen Van Natten. She is an integral member at the firm with various achievements. Alexa’s educational background has transformed her into an acclaimed lawyer. After graduating from Mainland Regional High School in 1994, she attended Stockton University and graduated in 1998 with her Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology. In 2001, she obtained her Juris Doctor from Rutgers School of Law.
Alexa received the Young Lawyer of the Year Award from the New Jersey State Bar Association in 2007 and the Atlantic County Bar Association in 2009. She was previously recognized as one of the Top 40 Under 40 in Atlantic County when she was under 30 years old and is incredibly proud to have received the 2014 Richard Stockton College Professional Achievement Award. She was also selected to receive the 2021 Meyer-Segal Award, which recognizes exemplary leadership in the community, her profession, the NJAJ, and the mission of the NJAJ Women Trial Lawyers Caucus.
Alexa has been selected to Super Lawyers each consecutive year since 2014. Prior to that Alexa was recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars from 2008 thru 2012. She represents victims in personal injury litigation, as well as families in special education matters.
Alexa has also been a speaker and moderator on numerous occasions locally for the New Jersey State Bar Association, the National Business Institute, the New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ), and on the national level for the American Association for Justice (AAJ). Her writings have been published by the Atlantic County Woman, the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA), New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, and AAJ’s Trial Magazine.
Alexa previously served as a trustee for the Atlantic County Bar Association and as the Chair for their New Lawyers Division. She also served on various committees for AAJ for many years where she also Chaired AAJ’s New Lawyers Division which had over 4,000 members at that time. Alexa also served on the NJAJ’s Board of Governors and was a member of the Auto Reparations Committee for the NJSBA.
Alexa was elected to the Linwood Board of Education where she served a three-year term advocating for students, teachers, and her community. Alexa is on the Board of Directors of the Ensign John R. Elliott HERO Campaign Foundation and a member of the Rotary International Somers Point Chapter. Alexa has served on the Board of FACES 4 Autism and helps fundraise for their scholarship program, Massi’s Mission, which is named after Alexa’s son, Massimo. Massi’s Mission provides scholarships to individuals on the autism spectrum to help them learn how to survive in the water as drowning is the leading cause of death among persons on the autism spectrum under 14 years old.
She currently lives in Linwood with her husband, Alexander J. Barrera, Esq., and their three sons, Paul, Massimo, and Rocco.
RUTGERS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW
Camden, New Jersey
- Juris Doctor Degree, May 2001
- American Bar Association—Student Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America—Student Member
- Women’s Law Caucus
- LRE: Legal Related Education from August 2000-May 2000
- Camden County Bar Association—Student Member
Pomona, New Jersey
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology, May 1998
D’AMATO LAW FIRM, P.C.
- Linwood, New Jersey
Attorney, April 2002 – Present
LINWOOD SCHOOL BOARD
- Linwood, New Jersey
Elected Board Member, 2018 – 2021 Term
ATLANTIC COUNTY LAW DEPARTMENT
- Atlantic City, New Jersey
Assistant County Counsel, September 2001-April 2002
LEVY, ANGSTREICH, FINNEY, BALDANTE, RUBENSTEIN & COREN
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Law Clerk, May 2000-September 2000
PAUL R. D’AMATO, PC
- Linwood, New Jersey
Law Clerk, August 1998-May 2000
Legal Secretary, May 1993-September 1993 & May 1994-August 1998
Atlantic County Bar Association
- Trustee from 2005 – 2009
- Chair of the New Lawyers Division from 2004 – 2007
American Association for Justice (formerly ATLA)
- Executive Committee – Committee Member 2010-2011
- American Association of Justice, Board of Governors 2010 – 2011
- Political Action Committee (PAC) Task Force – Co-Chair from 2006-2011; Committee Member from 2005-2011 and 2012-2013
- Law School Committee – Committee Member from 2007- 2010
- Membership Oversight Committee – Committee Member from 2008- 2011 and 2012-2015
- Membership Task Force Committee – Committee Member from 2009-2010; Committee Co-Chair from 2010-2011
- Key Person Committee – Committee Member from 2008- 2011
- New Lawyers Division (NLD) – Secretary for 2006-2007 term; Treasurer for 2007-2008 term; Vice Chair for 2008-2009 Term; Chair for 2009-2010 term
- NLD Board of Governors – Board Member, since 2003
- NLD – Chair of the Special Projects Committee – 2005-2006 and 2008-2009
- NLD – Co-Chair of the Fundraising Committee – 2006-2007
- NLD – Membership/Outreach Committee Member – 2004-2007
- NLD – Publications Committee Member – 2005 -2007
- NLD – Chair of the Sponsorship Committee – 2007-2008
- NLD – Chair of the Education Committee – 2009-2010
- NLD – Chair of the Social Committee – 2010-2011
New Jersey Association for Justice (formerly ATLA-NJ)
- Board of Governors, from 2004 -2014
- Listserve Committee Member 2004-2007
- Co-Chair of Women’s Litigator Luncheon at Boardwalk Seminar from 2007-2010, then again in 2016
New Jersey State Bar Association – Auto Reparations Committee Member 2005 – 2006
Shore Memorial Hospital Health Foundation Leaders Alliance – Steering Committee Member since inception in 2007 – 2012
Trial Lawyers for Public Justice Foundation – Communications and State Network Committee Member and Membership Committee Member from 2005 – 2006
- American Association of University Women
- American Association for Justice (AAJ, formerly ATLA)
- Better Business Bureau
- Linwood School Board
- New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ)
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Atlantic County Bar Association
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA)
- Rotary International – Somers Point
- Melvin Belli Society Member
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Member
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, Inc.
- When you need an injury attorney, know what to look for! Atlantic County Woman, Jan/Feb 2021
- We are thankful for our clients trust Atlantic County Woman, Nov/Dec 2020
- My reflections on womanhood Atlantic County Woman, Sept/Oct 2020
- Understanding immigration status Atlantic County Woman, July/August 2020
- The Law and Covid-19 Atlantic County Woman, May/June 2020
- Justice for Art Atlantic County Woman, March/April 2020
- When you need an injury attorney, know what to look for! Atlantic County Woman, Jan/Feb 2020
- What my clients wish they knew before they got hurt… Atlantic County Woman, Sept/Oct 2019
- Meet Erika Lezama, the newest attorney at D’Amato law firm Atlantic County Woman, July/August 2019
- “Dog Lovers Unite”, Atlantic County Woman, May/June 2019
- “Women Who Have Made A Difference”, Atlantic County Woman, March/April 2019
- “Are You Covered If You’re Hurt?”, Atlantic County Woman, Jan/Feb 2019
- “You’re Not Alone”, Atlantic County Woman, Nov/Dec 2018
- “No Case Is Too Big Or Too Small At The D’Amato Law Firm”, Atlantic County Woman, Sept/Oct 2018
- “Monroe the Cat”, Atlantic County Woman, July/August 2018
- “The Law Firm of Generations”, Atlantic County Woman, May/June 2018
- “Nursing Home Safety”, Atlantic County Woman, March/April 2018
- “It’s a New Year - Will You Have Regrets?, Atlantic County Woman, Jan/Feb 2018
- “Allergies, Asthma and 504 Plans, Oh My!”, Atlantic County Woman, Nov/Dec 2018
- “From Prosecution to Personal Injury”, Atlantic County Woman, Sept/Oct 2018
- “I Love My Team”, Atlantic County Woman,, July/August 2018
- “Wisdom From Paul D’Amato”, Atlantic County Woman, May/June 2017
- “Are You Buying The Right Protection?” , Atlantic County Woman, March/April 2017
- “You’re a Bully! Who, Me?!”, Atlantic County Woman, December/January 2017
- “Dangers in Our Home”, Atlantic County Woman, September/October 2016
- “We Focus Our Law Firm On Representing Victims!” Atlantic County Woman, July/August 2016
- “Adults with Disabilities”, Atlantic County Woman, May/June 2016
- “A World Without Trial Lawyers!”, Atlantic County Woman, March/April 2016
- “A New Year- The Same Old Insurance!”, Atlantic County Woman, January/February 2016
- “What’s Your Health Got to Do With It?”, Atlantic County Woman, March/April 2016
- “Allergies, Asthma And 504 Plans, Oh My!”, Atlantic County Woman, November/December 2015
- “Why Should You Have My Cell Phone Number?”, Atlantic County Woman, September/October 2015
- “Righting The Wrongs In Atlantic County”, Atlantic County Woman, July/August 2015
- “Personal Injury Attorney: Alexa D’Amato to the Rescue!”, Atlantic County Woman, July/August 2015
- “What is the Biggest Secret in the Courtroom?”, Atlantic County Woman, May/June 2015
- “What Do You Do If Someone You Love May Have Autism?”, Atlantic County Woman, March/April 2015
- “We All Have A Wonder Woman Waiting To Escape!”, Atlantic County Woman, January/February 2015
- “Have I Voluntarily Limited My Civil Rights?!”, Atlantic County Woman, November/December 2014
- When You’re David Taking on Goliath, NJESQ, Vol. 1, #19, June 22, 2009, page 8
- Book review published in Trial Magazine, June 2009, page 59 (reviewing Paul Mark Sandler, Anatomy of a Trial: A Primer for Young Lawyers, The Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, Inc. (2008)
- Assisted Thomas J. Vesper in writing Chapter 25, “Loss of Consortium”, in AAJ and Thomson Reuters/West’s Litigating Tort Cases, 2008
- “Community Service for the New Lawyer”, The Sidebar, ATLA NLD, Summer 2006
- “How to Keep Your Client’s Happy”, The Sidebar, ATLA NLD, Winter 2005
Awards and Honors
No Aspect of the Advertisement Has Been Approved by the Supreme Court.
- New Jersey Association for Justice - Meyer/Segal Award - 2021
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers List each consecutive year since 2014.(A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolade is based can be found here Super Lawyers).
- 2014 Richard Stockton College Professional Achievement Award for the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008 New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Star as selected by Law & Politics and the publishers of New Jersey Monthly. (A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolade is based can be found here Super Lawyers).
- 2012 Inducted into Mainland Regional High School Hall of Fame
- 2013, 2012 Selected to The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40. (A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolade is based can be found here National Trial Lawyers).
- AAJ New Lawyers Division 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011 appreciation award for excellence and dedication to the New Lawyers Division
- 2010 AAJ Wiedemann & Wysocki Award: for demonstrating a deep commitment to the highest standard and duties of trial lawyers
- 2010 AAJ New Lawyers Division Eagle Award for soaring the Division to new heights
- 2009 Atlantic County Bar Association Benjamin A. Rimm Young Lawyer of the Year Award
- 2007 New Jersey State Bar Association’s Young Lawyer of the Year Award
- 2006 “Top 40 under 40” for Atlantic County, New Jersey
- Who’s Who Among American Law Students – 2001
- December 13, 2022 - Speaker, Camden County Bar Association's Continued Legal Education Committee - "Civil Cases Against Public Entities"
- June 27, 2018 – Speaker, National Business Institute – Personal Injury Boot Camp – “Reviewing Insurance, Negotiating with Insurance Adjuster and Demand Packages” & “Initial Filing and Discovery Tips on Personal Injury”
- November 2, 2017 – Speaker, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Atlantic County – “The Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media/Professionalism Day”
- October 19, 2017 – Speaker, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Cape May County – “The Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media/Professionalism Day”
- August 11, 2017 – Speaker, New Jersey State Bar Association – “Engaging the Judge and Jury Through Storytelling”
- April 28, 2017 – Speaker, New Jersey Association for Justice – “Lay Witness Testimony: How it can Win or Lose Your Case”
- December 9, 2016 – Speaker, National Business Institute – Plaintiff’s Auto Injury: Advanced Litigation Strategies - “Countering the Low-Impact Defense Strategy” & “Adhering to Ethical Requirements”
- November 21, 2016 – Speaker, EHT Special Education Resource Group – “10 Tips for a Successful IEP Meeting”
- September 24, 2016 – Speaker, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education – “2016 Hot Topics for Civil Litigators”
- August 12, 2016 – Speaker, New Jersey Bar Association / New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education – “Keys to Jury Selection”
- June 24, 2016 – Panelist, United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey – Women’s Leadership Initiative – “The Power of the Purse”
- November 30, 2012 – National Business Institute – Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the “Rambo” Litigator, Cherry Hill, NJ
- July 12, 2010 – Speaker, Resort Tort Litigation Group – “Hot Topics in Tort”, AAJ 2010 Annual Convention, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- July 11, 2010 – Moderator, Advocacy Track CLE Program: Pretrial Strategy Presented with the New Lawyers Division, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- July 12, 2009 – AAJ 2009 Annual Convention – New Lawyers Division – “David vs. Goliath: Taking on a Giant”
- July 14, 2008 – AAJ 2008 Annual Convention – Resort Torts Litigation Group – “Hotels, Casinos, Theme Parks and Public Accommodations”
- April 26, 2007 – ATLA-NJ Boardwalk Seminar 2007 – Women’s Litigator Luncheon – “The Law is a Jealous Mistress”
- October 28, 2006 – ATLA-NJ Four Concurrent Seminars – Hot Tips in Torts – “Cutting Through the Bureaucracy: How to Obtain Discovery from Governmental Agencies”
- April 22, 2005 – ATLA-NJ Boardwalk Seminar 2005 – David Ball – Demonstration Focus Groups: Watch Jurors Deliberate
- FACES 4 Autism - Board member 2014-5/1/2018
- FACES 4 Autism - Massi’s Mission – Committee member since inception in 2015 helping to save lives and prevent wandering for children on the autism spectrum.
- Teal Pumpkin Project
- Atlantic County Women’s Center – Advisory Committee Board Member from 2007-2014
- On April, 2014, March 9, 2012, February 26, 2010 and February 25, 2006 I performed in a benefit performance of the Vagina Monologues for V-Day, which is an organized response against violence towards women, with all proceeds raised from the events benefiting the Atlantic County Women’s Center in Northfield, New Jersey.
- As Chair of the ATLA NLD Special Projects Committee, I worked with the People Over Profits Organization to protect American civil rights and trial by jury.
- On July 13, 2007 I helped build a Habitat for Humanity house in Chicago with other members of the AAJ’s New Lawyers Division.
- On May 2, 2007 I helped build a house in Musician’s Village in New Orleans for Habitat for Humanity with other members of the AAJ’s New Lawyers Division.
- On February 9, 2007, I and other members of AAJ’s New Lawyers Division worked on a downtown Miami Public Service/Beautification project.
- My sister, Ava D’Amato Cocchi, and I raised nearly $6,000 holding a December 6, 2003 walk-athon for the Atlantic County Women’s Center.
- Born in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1976
- Married to Alexander J. Barrera, Esquire in September 2007
- Son Paul D’Amato Barrera born in August 2008
- Son Massimo D’Amato Barrera born in December 2009
- Son Rocco D’Amato Barrera born in July 2011