Common Car Accident Injuries
Thousands of car accidents occur every day. In fact, they are one of the leading causes of injuries. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than three million people in the United States are injured in vehicle accidents annually. While these crashes can result in various types of injuries ranging from inconvenient to life threatening, there are certain types of injuries that are more common than others.
The type and severity of the injury are dependent upon many factors, including:
- Whether the car had airbags
- Whether the occupant’s head was facing straightforward or was turned at the time of impact
- Whether the person was wearing a seat belt
- Whether the collision occurred at a high or low speed
- Whether the car was hit from behind, from the front, or from the side
There are two types of injuries that occur during an accident: impact injuries and penetrating injuries. Impact injuries occur when part of an individual’s body hits against the inside of the vehicle. An example of this would be if someone’s head hit the steering wheel. Alternately, a penetrating injury is one that usually involves a cut or scrape of some kind. This can occur from moving objects during the impact of a crash.
Overall, there are five common groups of injuries. They include the following:
- Arm and Leg Injuries. Arm and leg injuries commonly occur when a car is impacted from the side. This typically causes one’s knees to hit the dashboard or for passengers in the backseat to hit their knees against the front seat. Injuries to the arms and legs can range from a slight bruise to a sprain or a break.
- Chest Injuries. Chest injuries, such as contusions, broken ribs, and internal injuries, can occur in an accident. When hit from behind, a driver’s chest may collide with the seatbelt or steering wheel.
- Head Injuries. Head injuries occur when the head moves in a manner not typical or natural. These sudden movements can put a strain on the neck and back, while the head can be scraped, bruised, or lacerated when impacted by the side window or steering wheel. This sudden movement damages the inside of the skull. Closed head injuries can range from a concussion to permanent brain damage.
- Scrapes and Cuts. Scrapes and cuts are common injuries from car crashes and occur when objects hit the body. These injuries can range from minor to loss of blood.
- Soft Tissue. Muscles, tendons, and ligaments experience the most damage from a car accident. Car accidents often result in back muscle sprains due to the impact of the force.
Egg Harbor Township Car Accident Lawyers at the D’Amato Law Firm Help Victims Injured in Car Accidents
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, this can have a major effect on you. You deserve to be justly compensated for your injuries. At the D’Amato Law Firm, the Egg Harbor Township car accident lawyers will work to obtain what you deserve. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 609-926-3300 today. Located in Egg Harbor Township, we serve clients from the surrounding areas, including Atlantic City and South Jersey.