Accidents happen even on a good day, but this Memorial Day weekend, many drivers will be heading out of town to celebrate the start of summer. With so many drivers traveling, the risk for an accident increases. According to the National Safety Council, it is estimated that over 400 people will suffer fatal injuries in car accidents over Memorial Day weekend this year. The key to being safe behind the wheel during this busy weekend is to pay attention to the road and slow down.
Tips to Avoid a Car Accident
When you are behind the wheel of a vehicle, driving safely should always be your top priority. The following are a few tips to keep you safe this Memorial Day weekend:
- Plan ahead: If you are going out of town, be sure that your car is working properly. You should also pay close attention to the weather forecast.
- Wear your seat belt: According to the National Safety Council, over 150 lives may be saved during Memorial Day Weekend just by buckling up. If you are traveling with a young child, use a child safety seat.
- Take breaks while driving: If you are planning on driving a long distance, it is important that you obtain as much sleep as possible before pulling out of your driveway. If you are feeling tired during your drive, pull over and take a break.
- Avoid distractions: You should always avoid distractions, such as cellphone use, eating large meals, and listening to loud music when behind the wheel.
- Do not speed: Speeding gives you less reaction time. Slowing down and focusing on the road may help you avoid an accident altogether or lessen the severity of an accident.
What to Do If You are Involved in a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a few things you should and should not do:
- Do not leave the scene no matter how minor the accident is. Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal.
- Call for assistance, even if the accident is minor and no one is hurt. Having the incident on file will help if you need to file a claim with your insurance company.
- You should obtain the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- When in doubt, seek medical attention. Injuries may not show up until days or weeks after a car accident and you will want to have your injuries documented if you decide to take legal action.
- If you decide to file a claim, a car accident attorney can help you through the process and protect your rights.
South Jersey Car Accident Lawyers at the D’Amato Law Firm Fight for Victims Injured in Motor Vehicle Accidents
Getting into a car accident can be a traumatizing experience. If you were injured in a car accident, a South Jersey car accident lawyer at the D’Amato Law Firm can help. Our lawyers are here to fight for your rights. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 609-926-3300 today. Located in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, we proudly serve clients in Atlantic City and South Jersey.