Most adults are aware of common household substances that pose a risk to younger children. Still, every year, too many children are injured or die from poisons found in their own homes that were not secured or were used improperly. Education about poisonous substances is vital for parents and children.
Anyone who has a home that is visited by children or who works in areas that children can access should be aware of these poisons. Children are curious by nature, so do not assume that they will not find a common product that can be dangerous. There are actions that we all can do to keep those at risk more safe.
Common Risks in the Household
More than 1 million children suffer from accidental poisonings across the country each year. Adults generally believe that they are aware of the kind of products that can be classified as poisons. Easily identifiable poisons include items like gasoline and kerosene, antifreeze, lighter fluids, and paint solvents.
Unfortunately, some unexpected items also pose hazards. It is essential to be aware that many common products can poison a child. Most poisonings happen to children under five years of age, so adults must be prepared, aware, and stringent about what young children have access to.
A poison can be any substance that is harmful to the human body. Poisons can be ingested through the mouth, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. The first thing adults should have, especially in households with children, is the phone number of the national Poison Control Center. Timing can be critical in accidental poisoning cases, so easy access to the national Poison Control Center is highly important.
Poisons can comprise a wide range of items. Items that are safe for adults may not be safe for children. Products such as nail polish remover, mouthwash, hair spray, prescription medication, and over-the-counter medication can be poisonous. Other toxins that are regularly found around homes and yards are lawn and garden chemicals, fertilizers, pesticides, and cleaning products, such as bleach and some paint products.
What If You Are Exposed to a Poison?
When someone is exposed to poison, the immediate symptoms can range from difficulty breathing to nausea, vomiting, and even seizures. The best prevention includes storing and locking hazardous substances, disposing unused chemicals, and clearly labeling items as toxic.
Local poison control centers as well as online resources offer various educational materials for the home. Information can be posted on websites and used to educate parents and children. The best way to prevent a poison from happening is to become educated.
Atlantic City Personal Injury Lawyers at the D’Amato Law Firm Work for You When You Have Been Injured
Our Atlantic City personal injury lawyers at the D’Amato Law Firm have advocated for numerous victims in our practice. We are here to ensure that you are properly represented and get the compensation you deserve. For more information and to schedule a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 609-926-3300. Located in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, we serve clients in Atlantic City, Linwood, Galloway Township, Cape May, Vineland, Millville, Bridgeton, Ocean City, Woodbury, and throughout South Jersey.